Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Nov. 23, 2011 Foto-foto(Photos)

Hey Family,

Hello from the other side of the world!! How are things going? I am glad to hear that Mom's surgery went well and that she has successfully managed to learn how to blog from her iPhone ... I don't know which one I was more worried about this week. All the blog posts were a great to look at today. It sounds like everyone had a great week and is now enjoying their Thanksgiving Break. I have yet to see one thing that has reminded me of Thanksgiving in the least, but technically we are P-daying tomorrow to celebrate and are going to go eat lunch at an actual restaurant. I might actually get to eat with silverware!!! I don't think I will ever be more thankful!! I hope everyone has a wonderful day and I am pretty sure Bevan isn't really serving a mission in the least when he gets hand-delivered packages and gets to eat Thanksgiving with the Browns. Pssh!!!

Well as promised from a few weeks ago, here are a few pictures from the happenings of the past few weeks. I hope that you all enjoy ... and please notice how short my hair is!! It is so curly too. The ringlets are impressive. The first photo is me eating dog!! We usually eat at night at home so that is why I am in my pajamas. The dog was pretty delicious. I don't know why we don't eat dog for Thanksgiving and not turkey, maybe I will start that tradition when I come home. And yes we do have silverware in our house, but I opt to use my hands instead.

The second picture is from a wedding that we attended. The bride is a member of the Malang Branch and her mom is Ibu Tinawati that we have been teaching lately. The groom is a member from Solo. It was a pretty low-key wedding but a great experience. I think the whole church celebrates A LOT when two members of the church get married. It unfortunately doesn't happen as much as it should, but when it does it is so fun to see. And yes, the groom is wearing make-up on his face to look more white. Kinda weird, but that is what they do.

This is a picture of me trying to sneak a Book of Mormon into the drawer at the hotel we stayed at. I just didn't think the Al'Koran and the selected portions from the New Testament were enough. My companion didn't think it would be a good idea so I took it with me and then gave it to a nun on the bus ride home to Malang later that night. I don't know if she ever read it, but hopefully.

And which one of these people are not like the other ... yes that is right I am the lone white person here. Actually one of the elders is from California but he is Hispanic and so no one ever thinks he is American, but rather just assume that he is Indonesian until he talks and people realize he can't speak at all... he's only been here two months. But, this is a picture of the missionaries here in Malang with our Branch Mission Leader and his wife. We were enjoying FHE with them. They are both returned missionaries and just a fun couple. Some of my favorite people I've met in Malang.

Well this week still didn't bring too much good news investigator wise. Ibu Tinawati is still learning but she is still far from really believing. She has a lot of doubts but she is still willing to learn and find out. It is a slow process, but we love her and want to help her so we are doing all that we can do to help. Her daughter on her mission frequently writes and bears her testimony so with that we are pretty sure she is feeling the spirit. Slowly but surely!!

But other then that our rejection record is getting pretty impressive. And people keep getting more and more creative with their rejection tactics. It is a little hard to take at times, but I have been able to see how hard Satan is working to try and discourage us, so we must be getting close to finding someone awesome. We have a few good contacts/referrals that we are hoping to contact this next week so hopefully things will turn out soon.

Well even though I won't be eating any turkey or stuffing or pie tomorrow I have decided that it won't stop me from being so grateful for all of the things that I have in my life. These past 10 months on my mission have really shown me all of the blessings I really have and how much the Gospel really does bring into my life. This mission has changed my life and I will always be grateful for the experiences that I have had, even the really, REALLY hard ones that leave me questioning if I am really doing any good. I know that this church is true and I know that we are lead by a prophet of God.I know the Book of Mormon is true and I learn something from it each and every day that I read it's pages. Thank you so much for being a wonderful family. I love you all and miss you!!!! Please eat some pie for me tomorrow and drink some eggnog!! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Love,
Leah

P,S. I am also grateful for Justin Beiber who has given me numerous opportunities to explain to people what mistletoe is. I haven't heard this new Christmas song, but I already do not like it! Love you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment