Thursday, March 10, 2011

Selamat Datang di Malan Keluarga

Hey Everyone!!!

I can´t believe it took me so long to translate this for yall. But it is ¨Welcome to Family Night!¨ I expect it to be used quite frequently until I come home. Enjoy!! Also...
Senang Hari Ulang Tahun, Rebekah!!!!!!!
(In case you didn´t get it, that was Happy Birthday, Rebekah). In Indonesian they don´t really have a specific word for birthday so they just say happy day that repeats during the year. Kinda weird and it is way too long to say. For a language that doesn´t really have a word for a, the, is, and it they sure love to be quite wordy in everything else they say. Its confusing for the rest of us! But, anyways, I hope you have a wonderful day Rebekah! I can´t believe you are 11 years old today! You are getting so old! Enjoy your day and eat an extra piece of cake for me!
Well, not much news here. This past week was pretty typical. Lots of studying and learning the language. We did spend all Monday and Tuesday only speaking the language. It was pretty frustrating at times and I´m pretty sure my brain was about to explode from it all. But I am always amazed with how much I have learned in such short a time. But other than that nothing too exciting too report except that yesterday we got our travel plans to go to Indonesia!!! CRAZY!!! We leave on the 21st of March ... in 11 days!! We fly from SLC to LAX have about a 5 hour layover there and then fly over night to Hong Kong (Deborah if you want to join me there you are more than welcome to) and then from there we fly to Jakarta and get there at 1 in the afternoon on March 23. It will definitley be quite a long trip, one where I hope that I can sleep at least a little. It should be an awesome trip. Getting the travel plans makes it seem so much more real. I´m excited!!!
A funny story I guess I could tell was that this week we worked on telling personal stories in our lessons in the language so we all have to pick a funny story from our life and work on translating it and tell the story of the class. So naturally I picked the highlight of my life to tell... the story of the death of Marble the cat. Let me tell ya, I am a marvelous story teller in Indonesian. My district laughed and they cried as I shared the sad demise of the cat I so loved. Actually my teacher was rolling on the floor laughing because he couldn´t believe that something like that would happen to an 8 year old. I´ll make sure to tell you each the story when I come home. It is great!!! I don´t know if I will ever be able to work that story into a lesson during my mission. Not much spiritual value to it, but I´ll definitley tell all of my companions!!
The other highlight of the week was the fireside Sunday night. President Daines came to talk to all the missionaries. He is the Temple President of the Provo Utah. He was a great speaker and talked a lot about the importance of the temple and spent a lot of time helping us each to understand why it is so important. It was a great talk and definitley made me realize once again that I won´t be able to go to the temple of 16 months and how much I have loved being able to go once a week here. I will greatly miss the blessings from going.
Sounds like yall had quite the exciting week this past week! Way to go with tricking Grandma and suprising her for her brithday. Quite the amazing feat that yall pulled off. I´m glad it was such a success and that Grandma had a great birthday. Congrats to Malan and his band successes this past week. That´s really fun and exciting. I hope life calms down this next week with spring break. Are yall going anywhere besides Malan to Utah? I except some great letters from Hansen and Rebekah since yall don´t have school weighing ya down.
I´m glad yall are all doing well! I´m so excited to be a missionary and to serve the Lord. It has been a great blessing in my life so far. I have learned so much. I know that this church is true and that God and Jesus Christ lives. I love this gospel and love you all so much! Have a great week!
Love,
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment